1 June 2011

Updates.

Yesterday, I have blogged about the video of the shared space launch. Today, I took photos of what is going on around the city and what changes has been done so far.

Elliot Street is still closed off and some parts are under construction. The road has been levelled out just like Darby St.
Photo taken by myself.
Fort Street coming along well with more trees than Darby St. but there are no benches yet.
Photos taken by myself.

What Darby St. looks like now. The space is both utilised by cars and mostly people. Every time I pass by this street, the benches are occupied by people which indicates that it is a good space to hang out.
Photo taken by myself.

(EyeonAuckland has captured great photos of this space and you can check it out here.)
The changes are great so far. I think that Darby St. could have more trees and variety though but the space has definitely improved. There are still work to be done in Fort St. but the trees are up and cars can go pass even with the barriers on the sides.

There are many exciting changes happening around Auckland's urban area. The shared spaces are one of them. I will blog next about the new waterfront developments that are really promising so stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. I have noticed all these changes over the past couple of months with the streets you have mentioned throughout your blog. The streets looks so much better in my opinion. Simply adding that type of paving encourages people to walk and use the street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. By simply changing the paving from asphalt to some sort of concrete block paving has definitely made a difference. The street feels safer and cleaner now.

    ReplyDelete