6 June 2011

The end has arrived...


With regards to my fellow groupmates: Jayesh, Simon, Steven and Sophie, I present to you our Te Hana resource video.

I am slightly going off-topic for my last post on this blog but I want to end on a high note. Last Friday was our group presentations for Studio. Each group presented to the Te Hana community our recommendations, priorities and resources. My group's resource was a video for Te Hana. This video above is a journey of Te Hana, exploring their history, struggles, achievements and what the future holds not just for their community but also for the Auckland region.


Te Hana is in a rural area and it doesn't really relate to the theme of my blog which is the urban environment. However, I want to put this video up to promote the community and to let people know what Te Hana has been through to get to where they are now. It may be in a rural area but I think Te Hana Te Ao Marama will have an effect on Auckland as a whole once it becomes recognised as a Maori cultural and tourism centre. Auckland does not have an authentic Maori cultural centre so Te Hana will give the region a comparative advantage.


Te Hana also relates to my last post of Auckland lacking 'heart'. As said in the post, Auckland has failed to recognise its people when it comes to planning. We have planned for cars and have turned our backs to the people. Te Hana's approach to community development was aimed at its people. As the Maori proverb goes:

"He aha te mea nui o te ao? He tangata! He tangata! He tangata"
"What is the most important thing in the world? It is people! It is people! It is people!"
Auckland's success lies upon its people. We should not take people for granted. We have the ability to change for the better. Together, we can shape our urban environment, rural areas, towns and communities. Collaboration is key so we can have a city that every Aucklander would be proud of.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I give credit to my groupmates especially to Simon and Jayesh who have produced a wonderful video of Te Hana's journey.

Also, thank you to the people who have checked out my blog and for commenting on my posts. I truly appreciate it. Thanks to Dory, our lecturer who made this blog a requirement for the course. I have enjoyed blogging and I may continue this blog for planning issues in the future. This blog has inspired me and made me realise what I am interested in and passionate about.

So long for now and until we meet again...

3 comments:

  1. I thought your groups presentation was amazing! So much work has gone into that video and it shows. Well done guys for creating a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rachael! Every group did really well last Friday. Everyone worked so hard to produce quality resources. I liked your group's idea of blogging too. I think our class definitely set the bar high. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Great blog :) Nice to come across blogs with similar thoughts on Auckland development.

    Will keep an eye on !

    ReplyDelete